Wednesday, March 17, 2010

You WILL Eat Your Veggies!!

It's no secret that veggies aren't a high priority at my house. Brychan refuses to eat anything other than bread or dairy products or cookie and candy products. My husband will eat some veggies if I make them, but just prefers that I not make them. I'll eat them, but don't want to go through the hassle of making them just for me. Not good at all.

In my quest for us to eat healthier, David bought me The Sneaky Chef - a cookbook with recipes that hide all sorts of "yummy" ingredients in order to make them healthy. So yesterday, I went to Sprouts (my new favorite grocery store. I LOVE it!), bought a bunch of delicious, fresh, organic foods and this morning, I made these:


I was a little skeptical at first, because they started out looking like mud and smelled awful. However. They're not bad! Actually quite yummy. And the best part? Brychan ate 3 of them. So before 9:00am, he's had blueberries, spinach, walnuts, wheat germ and hardly any sugar (the recipe only calls for 6 T. brown sugar). FINALLY!! I like them because they're just sweet and chocolately enough (1/4 c cocoa) to quench any cravings. This week, I'm trying to cut out all added sugars. Once I get that mastered, I plan on working out the refined sugars as well. I feel like I can snack on these bad boys and not be cheating.

I'm really excited now to work my way through the entire cookbook. Hopefully all the recipes are as good as this one!

2 comments:

The Other Michelle said...

Sugar is NOT overrated :)

Mary said...

They look yummy! I love sneaking vegetables in when my kids can't tell.