Friday, September 18, 2009

Scary Day

Is it possible to share too much info on blogs? Well, I mean I know it is...sometimes I worry that I am telling way too many stories...but here's the latest.

Friday was a VERY scary day for us. At some point in middle of the night, I woke up because I felt the baby moving very frantically for quite awhile and then stop abruptly. By the time I was fully awake, I wasn't sure if that had really happened or if I had just been dreaming. I didn't worry too much about it and went back to sleep. This afternoon around 2:00ish, I realized I hadn't felt the baby move hardly at all all day. The last very subtle movements were around 7:00 that morning. Not normal for my little kick-boxer. Usually you can see my belly moving all over the place any time of the day. So I ate a cookie, sat down and relaxed and tried to get him moving. No could do. I poked, I prodded and got nothing. I finally broke down and called my doctor who I expected to tell me not to worry. Instead, she told me to go straight to the hospital.

Crying almost all the way, we made our way to the hospital. Got into the lobby where the sweet little old lady volunteer informed us that Brychan could not come into the hospital due to swine flu restrictions (we were already aware of this but it had completely left our minds in the panic of everything). I was on the border-line of being hysterical (I did NOT want to get bad news by myself) when this sweet little volunteer offered to watch Brychan for us.

We got all checked in and settled in; the nurse hooked the monitors up and warned me that it might take a minute for her to find the heartbeat. It took longer than a minute. It took so long, in fact, that I was already certain what the outcome was going to be. Luckily, she found it. It was very quiet and hard to hear, but there it was; beating away just as it should (I'm guessing he was facing backwards). Again, more crying. I had to be monitored for 30 minutes, at which point the nurse came in and said the baby passed his test - that he was passing as a full term baby. I have no idea what that means (Elsa or Marie can you help with that one?), and I don't really care. Just SO glad everything is okay and he is just as healthy and strong as can be. Evidently just a little stink pot who thinks it's funny to be lazy once in awhile just to get Mom and Dad's hearts going.

When we went back down to get Brychan, he had not only the one little grandma we had left him with, but two others as well. He also had a balloon, a coloring book, two packages of crayons AND a stuffed dragon. Needless to say he could have cared less that we were gone and left him with complete strangers. Man that kid knows how to work it!

I am so grateful tonight for my dear husband and my little boys - who are both safe, sound and healthy. I'm also very gratful to my sister who left work without hesitation to try and get to the hospital in time to get Brychan for us. Thanks, Ash! We love you!

Brychan with his new, beloved dragon

7 comments:

The Other Michelle said...

Alyssa, it's crazy enough just to have pregnancy hormones, but to have a doctor scare you enough to go to the hospital, AND leave your baby with strangers is quite the ordeal. Glad everyone is doing well!

Natalie said...

I would have been panicked too! I'm SOOO glad that everything is fine!

Debbie said...

Oh how terrifing. The exact same thing happened with me when I had Kyle. Except he wasn't doing well and they had to take him emergency c-section at only 28 weeks. Glad you had a much happier outcome. You guys are in our prayers.

Jocie said...

Yeah, that story terrified me when I heard it! I am sorry you had to go through that, but SO glad that everything is okay. (Brychan looks so cute with his little dragon =))

Wendi said...

I am so glad that you went right to the hospital and that he is doing fine!! I would have been a nervous wreck! Sounds like Brychan had a fun time as well. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

SPENCERS said...

Oh, wow, that is never a fun experience--thank heavens everything is ok. I don't know what the "passing as a full-term baby" means (maybe he passed the non-stress test: good heartbeat & movement?) Anyway, glad he's fine! Wish you guys were still in Ogden--we're visiting there in October=( But if you happen to be up in UT around the 2nd week of October....

Mary said...

How very scarry, but I am glad that everything is fine.