Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"Enduring Well"

As a forewarning, this entry is serving a journaling purpose more than anything and will be boring to many of you I'm sure. It will also be quite cryptic for those who don't know the stories; for which I apologize, but I cannot expound. Feel free to skip it if you wish. I wouldn't blame you!

It has been almost 6 months since the worst day of my life. And as I've been working on my upcoming lesson for Relief Society on dealing with trials (which, ironically I will be giving on fast Sunday in September - exactly 6 months), I can't help but reflect on what has by far been the biggest trial for us to date. We still find ourselves dealing with side effects of that day; some tiny little ripples that are easily forgotten, others huge waves crashing down on us unexpectedly. Yet, since that day we are both much stronger, healthier, filled with more gratitude and more committed to just about everything (and everybody) around us. And looking back on things now, I can see how trials I had earlier in life helped me prepare for what happened to us this year.

As much as I hate pretty much everything about that day, I wouldn't change it for anything. Not only was it life-saving, but it strengthened my testimony in several ways. I know Heavenly Father is watching out for us on a very specific, careful and individual basis. He does not miss anything. He lets awful things happen which many times seem to have a way of leading to a greater good. I know that He prompts us if we are willing to listen. He sometimes prompts and guides us when we are seemingly physically and mentally unable to survive let alone think straight. In those times, he leads us by the hand to help us carry out whatever it is that has to be done. I know how important it is to listen to those promptings - whether it's something so huge you can't miss, or whether it's just a passing thought that somebody needs a hug or an uplifting phone call. It is imperative to always be listening. My life would be drastically different had such promptings not been followed. My love for eternal families has been multiplied a hundred times over and I find myself working harder than I ever have before to keep my family on the road to an eternal life together.

I know that many people suffer trials that are harder or worse than the ones my little family has been asked to bear this year. I wouldn't want to trade our trials for others. We have definitely been blessed with opportunities to turn this into a major strength and will hopefully be able to take this experience and turn it into something helpful or positive for somebody else. When I was asked to accept my new church calling about a month ago, that was the first thought that popped into my head. Again, another answer to prayers. Not the answer I would have hoped for, or expected, but an answer none the less.

I am terrified of giving this lesson in Relief Society. Not only is it my first time teaching adults (versus the children and teenagers I've always been with), but it is a subject that is still so near and dear to me; a wound that is still fresh and trying to heal. But hopefully, like I said earlier, somebody can benefit from what I can hope Heavenly Father is having me say!

8 comments:

The Other Michelle said...

Amazing attitude! On the plus side, the relief society won't be blowing bubbles with their gum or pulling toys and melted chocolate out of their pockets like the kids during the lesson. Best wishes teaching adults!

Mary said...

Alyssa you are a very strong woman!!! I am glad that things have worked out well for you in the end and that you are able to see the positive in the trials that you faced. I remember when I fist got my calling (1st counselor in Relief Society), I was scared to death. I too am use to teaching kids and not adults and I am terrified of speaking in front of people. I have had the calling for a little over a year now and I have grown so much in that short time. Stay in tune with the spirit as you teach and he will help you through this lesson and other that you will teach.
Love, Mary

Debbie said...

{{hugs}} to you. I have no idea what happened, but I am glad you are able to turn it into a positive growing experience. What a great example to all of us. Thanks!

Jocie said...

I don't know what to say except that we love you guys. I have no doubts that Heavenly Father truly watches out for us and knows what is best even when we don't.

You will do great with your lesson. Teaching RS is actually my all-time favorite calling.

Natalie said...

Gotta love trials huh? They are so hard during the time and you think you will never get past them and then one day- you are out of it and like you say- the wound begins to heal and you begin to realize all the growth and miracles that came from the trial. Then the next trial happens and we question life all over again. Crazy stuff! Sorry you had a difficult time, but glad to hear that you are staying strong. You are an amazing person. Good luck on your lesson. I'm sure you will do great. People learn best from real life experiences and I have no doubt that what you plan on teaching from your heart will touch the life of someone else in need.

Miss seeing you!

Angela said...

I'm sitting here blog browsing and didn't expect that I would be crying. We love you all so much. We are sad that you are so far away now, but know that it is part of the bigger plan.

Good luck with your lesson. I love teaching RS (not to mention it is just a one Sunday a month calling).

David & Alyssa Stander said...

Oh how I wish it was only a one Sunday a month calling...my calling is not as a Relief Society teacher, but as the 1st counselor in the RS presidency. Granted, thanks to this upcoming bundle of joy, I don't have to teach again until March - but there's still plenty of other things to do! :)

And, for all the concerned family members, we are all doing great. I didn't mean to alarm anybody or cause any stress. It's just been on my mind a lot the last week and I needed to get it out. We love you and and definitely wish we were closer! I've really been missing Utah today...

the5firds said...

Know that a day does not go by without at least one prayer being offered in our home for your little family. we love you guys! And Alyssa, I hope you know how truly grateful we ALL are to have you in our family. You and David have such a wonderful family.