Thursday, May 13, 2010

Patching Problems

So...it turns out that getting a toddler to cooperate with wearing a patch is next to impossible. Brychan wore the patch for 10 minutes this morning and then was done. After nap, I waited for him to ask to watch a movie (he typically asks several times in a day, and most of the time, the answer is no). When he did, I jumped on it with "Of course you can watch a movie, but Mommy needs you to put a sticker on your eye first". After coaxing like that for 15 minutes, putting a patch on my own eye and promising chocolate chip cookies, I managed to get him to wear his patch for 30 minutes. When he was done, he ripped it off, snapped his glasses in half and refused to even consider putting one back on.

This is Brychan's new sticker chart! As you can see, we're keeping our fingers crossed that bribery will work it's magic. He gets a sticker for each day he wears his patch. If he has a sticker every day leading up to a star, then he gets a new toy. If only toys for medical "purposes" were tax deductible!

Sporting one of his patches. Lovely, no? I am now nursing a massive headache and feel like my eyes are crossed.
By the way, potty training is now back on the bottom of the "to do" list. I can't imagine him cooperating with potty training while trying to get use to this! And as mommy, I can only handle so many fights in a day! :)

1 comment:

Jason Wilkins said...

HA! My son Brychan wears a patch and glasses too! I was doing a search of his name to see how many people used it and found your site. We also live in Metro Atlanta. (Twilight Zone theme plays)Too funny. :)